Arduino Computer Vision

Difficulty Level = 5 [What's this?]

The Video Experimenter shield can give your Arduino the gift of sight. In the Video Frame Capture project, I showed how to capture images from a composite video source and display them on a TV. We can take this concept further by processing the contents of the captured image to implement object tracking and edge detection.

The setup is the same as when capturing video frames: a video source like a camera is connected to the video input. The output select switch is set to “overlay”, and sync select jumper set to “video input”. Set the analog threshold potentiometer to the lowest setting.

Object Tracking

Here is an Arduino sketch that captures a video frame and then computes the bounding box of the brightest region in the image.

You can download the sketch here. The code first calls tv.capture() to capture a frame. Then it computes a simple bounding box for the brightest spot in the image. After computing the location of the brightest area, a box is drawn and the coordinates of the box are printed to the TVout frame buffer. Finally, tv.resume() is called to resume the output and display the box and coordinates on the screen.

Keep in mind that there is no need to display any output at all — we just do this so we can see what’s going on. If you have a robot with a camera on it, you can detect/track objects with Arduino code, and the output of the Video Experimenter doesn’t need to be connected to anything (although the analog threshold potentiometer would probably need some adjustment).

If you use a television with the PAL standard (that is, you are not in North America), change tv.begin(NTSC, W, H) to tv.begin(PAL, W, H).

#include <TVout.h>

initOverlay();
  initInputProcessing();

tv.select_font(font4x6);
  tv.fill(0);

void initOverlay() {
  TCCR1A = 0;
  // Enable timer1.  ICES0 is set to 0 for falling edge detection on input capture pin.
  TCCR1B = _BV(CS10);

// Enable input capture interrupt
  TIMSK1 |= _BV(ICIE1);

// Enable external interrupt INT0 on pin 2 with falling edge.
  EIMSK = _BV(INT0);
  EICRA = _BV(ISC11);

void initInputProcessing() {
  // Analog Comparator setup
  ADCSRA &= ~_BV(ADEN); // disable ADC
  ADCSRB |= _BV(ACME); // enable ADC multiplexer
  ADMUX &= ~_BV(MUX0);  // select A2 for use as AIN1 (negative voltage of comparator)
  ADMUX |= _BV(MUX1);
  ADMUX &= ~_BV(MUX2);
  ACSR &= ~_BV(ACIE);  // disable analog comparator interrupts
  ACSR &= ~_BV(ACIC);  // disable analog comparator input capture

// Required
ISR(INT0_vect) {
  display.scanLine = 0;

void loop() {
  tv.capture();

// uncomment if tracking dark objects
  //tv.fill(INVERT);

tv.draw_line(minX, maxY, maxX, maxY, 1);
    sprintf(s, "%d, %d", ((maxX+minX)/2), ((maxY+minY)/2));
    tv.print(0, 0, s);

tv.resume();
  tv.delay_frame(2);
}

What if you want to find the darkest area in an image instead of the brightest? That’s easy — just invert the captured image before processing it. Simply call tv.fill(INVERT).

Edge Detection

The Arduino is powerful enough to do more sophisticated image processing. The following sketch captures a frame then performs an edge detection algorithm on the image. The result is the outline of the brightest (or darkest) parts of the image. This could be useful in object recognition applications or
robotics. The algorithm is quite simple, especially with a monochrome image, and is described in this survey of edge detection algorithms as “Local Threshold and Boolean Function Based Edge Detection”.

Download the edge detection code here.

Published by Michael, on March 20th, 2011 at 3:02 pm. Filed under: Arduino,Level 5,Video. | 67 Comments |

67 Responses to “Arduino Computer Vision”

1. Simplest OpenCV for Arduino :)

Comment by noonv on March 24, 2011 at 2:01 PM

2. what resolution and frame rate in object detected case?

Comment by noonv on March 24, 2011 at 2:43 PM

3. The scan rate of TVout is 60 fps. So when you capture an image, the scanning/rendering stops while you process it. The logic to compute the bounding box doesn’t seem to take much time, but then my code displays the result for 2 frames. If you were building a robot or something, you wouldn’t necessarily have any output, so you would not delay 2 frames to display the result (or print the coordinates to the screen, etc.). Bottom line, you should be able to track objects at 20fps or better, but that’s just an estimate.

Comment by Michael on March 24, 2011 at 3:14 PM

4. Thanks! Great work!

Comment by noonv on March 25, 2011 at 2:39 AM

5. Hi;

Could this be used to track a star (or maybe even a comet!) – through a telescope, natch – then use the central coordinates it returns to ‘steer’ (drive) a pair of stepper motors coupled to the telescope mount, to keep the object centred?

Wodgereckon?

Comment by Dave on April 3, 2011 at 3:25 AM

6. @Dave,
    Well, you’d have to experiment. Keep in mind this is LOW resolution video.

Comment by Michael on April 3, 2011 at 6:59 AM

7. Hi @5,

This is what I had in mind to track the moon for moonbouncing ( AKA EME by hamradio amateurs).

-ben

Comment by ben on April 4, 2011 at 6:59 AM

8. Thanks man, this topic has led me to learn a lot more about object tracking using Arduino, and I’m glad I now have a basic understanding!
    Thx a million!

Comment by Daniel on April 30, 2011 at 7:28 AM

9. I noticed that it tracks either light or dark objects, but would it be possible to track, complicated images, such as human faces? The intent is for the arduino to move a couple of servos to point the camera at the person.

Comment by alcurb on May 9, 2011 at 7:44 PM

10. Well, it depends on the code you write. I provided a simple program that looks for the lightest or darkest part of an image. If you write code that can recognize a face in a 1-bit bitmap, then yes you could accomplish what you describe. I don’t know if such a sophisticated bit of code could run on the Arduino, though….this type of thing is typically done using something like OpenCV.

Comment by Michael on May 9, 2011 at 9:07 PM

11. Thanks for telling me about OpenCV.
    Upon meditation I just realized that the answer was right in front of me. Use IR illumination. The idea is that many digital cameras can see into the near infrared. So use a relatively strong source of IR light to illuminate the target. The software would choose the geometric center of the brightest shape it sees and run the servos to point the camera at it. This would necesitate two cameras. One to see the infrared spot, the other to see in normal visible light. Using one camera to do both would not be practical because the images of people faces would have the IR wash effect. On the sensing camera one could add an IR admitting filter to reject other visible light sources therefore improving accuracy.

Comment by alcurb on May 10, 2011 at 10:05 AM

12. Really interesting project. What I’d like to do is to get the X/Y cords of a series of dots on an image that will correspond to reflective dots on a human face.. Then using the varience between the dots to control an animatronic mask.

So long as the speed approximates real time I’ll be very happy.
    Many thanks for this.
    Marc

Comment by marcwolf on May 17, 2011 at 7:19 PM

13. Great JOb, I was wondering what type of low resolution cameras would you recommend? I want to track a black dot on a white background. BUt I would like to use a very small camera. maybe you got some experience with that ? thanks

Kind regards
    Blitz

Comment by Blitz on October 22, 2011 at 6:39 AM

14. @Blitz,
    I have this camera module and it works pretty well. It’s small and has 640×480 color resolution.

Comment by Michael on October 23, 2011 at 8:17 PM

15. could i track my retina with this? thanks

Comment by christo on November 27, 2011 at 7:39 AM

16. i meant my eye’s iris.. sorry this is more accurate

Comment by christo on November 27, 2011 at 7:40 AM

17. That would depend on many factors, such as the quality/size of the image, the sophistication of the software you write to identify the eye, etc.

Comment by Michael on November 27, 2011 at 7:50 AM

18. thanks for the response,

just one more question, do you think this camera will do?

thanks again for the tips!

Comment by christo on December 1, 2011 at 6:23 AM

19. That camera will probably work — the yellow wire is probably a composite output. That’s the only requirement of the VE board.

Comment by Michael on December 1, 2011 at 8:57 AM

20. im sorry for all this questions but I cannot know if a camera has the right output…

do you think a camera like this would work, how can I know if a camera will work with my video shield? I try to look for the PAL specification but cant find anything.. sorry but i hope this helps others with the same doubt.

thanks again michael

Comment by christo on December 2, 2011 at 10:39 AM

21. Yes, I think that will work. It looks like it has a composite output. A composite video signal is a single connection, usually yellow.

Comment by Michael on December 2, 2011 at 10:51 AM

22. To track more than one light (5 Laser dots) should I write code using X1, X2….. Y1, Y2….? Do I have to declare those variable under unsigned characters.Sorry really interested in this project but a beginner.

Comment by Ronall on December 20, 2011 at 10:29 AM

23. Hi,

I was wondering how to get the x,y coordinates of a bright spot. I am not sure if it is with this (c = tv.get_pixel(x,y);) that the cordinates are acquired, if it is, I wanted to know where is the (0,0) in respect to the coordinates gotten. which corner? I just got my shield but not sure how to use the TVOUT library.

Comment by alan on January 14, 2012 at 6:42 PM

24. Upper left is (0,0). getPixel returns the value of a pixel.

Comment by Michael on January 14, 2012 at 7:39 PM

25. thanks for the help michael. the pixels printed on the screen refer to the center point of the box being displayed? or is it Xmin Ymin? I will try to look up the tvouts library command description to understand it a bit more. thanks again for your comments.

Comment by alan on January 18, 2012 at 12:49 PM

26. Did you look at the code? It prints the center of the bounding box.

Comment by Michael on January 18, 2012 at 7:56 PM

27. Hey there,

I was looking to setup a video capture that would find a can or other object that would have light reflecting off of it and was wondering what the output was of your capture device? Can you set the Arduino to move a motor or two to attempt to center the bright spot in its field of view? Also what camera would you recommend? lastly i was hoping to use the Arduino Motor Shield R3http://www.robotshop.com/arduino-motor-shield-v3-2.html. I noticed the brake is using some of the same pins your shield is using. Is it possible to reroute the pins? Do you happen to know if these two shields can work together? I am very new to robotics and regretfully don’t know enough to know what questions to ask. Thank you for your time and expertise.

Comment by Jonathan on March 7, 2012 at 12:49 PM

28. After capturing a frame, you have a monochrome frame buffer of pixels. This allows you to process the frame, looking for things of interest (like a bright spot). It’s all very crude, but you can have the Arduino do whatever you want as a reaction to this processing.

A shield that uses the same pins as the Video Experimenter shield is incompatible. That’s just how it goes with shields.

Comment by Michael on March 7, 2012 at 3:57 PM

29. When finding the brightest part of the box is it possible to set a min brightness so with no flash light our laser there is no detection?

Comment by Jonathan on March 29, 2012 at 9:42 AM

30. Brightness detection threshold is adjustable with the potentiometer with the long stem.

Comment by Michael on March 29, 2012 at 10:05 AM

31. Thank you for your reply, I had another follow up question if you had a moment, with this being a very low res image that is being created does it matter if the camera that is taking the image is ahigher res? or will the bitmap that is generated have its resolution reduced for processing with pixels in the image(processed) corresponding porportionally to the higher res camrea image? IE 50% of X axis of low res(processed) image would map to 50% of higher res(raw) x axis? I am just trying to figure out how i can search for an object that isnt in view up front but after scaning with a turret find a point(laser) and then move to that point.

Comment by Jonathan on March 29, 2012 at 12:35 PM

32. It’s independent or the signal’s resolution. Overlay/capture resolution is not based on the incoming signal. It’s based on NTSC timing.

Comment by Michael on March 30, 2012 at 6:07 AM

33. Is it possible to work a video Experimenter on the Arduino Mega1280?
    I tried to work with Atmega328 O.K. but not atmega1280

Comment by Vint on April 21, 2012 at 10:40 AM

34. No, the Video Experimenter does not work with the Arduino Mega. This is clearly stated in the documentation.

Comment by Michael on April 21, 2012 at 10:43 AM

35. O.K. I read diferenses.
    if I change Arduino Mega Mega according Seeeduino doc. Experimenter videos
    should act

Comment by Vint on April 21, 2012 at 11:12 AM

36. I mean. Install missed data lines directly on pcb

Comment by Vint on April 21, 2012 at 11:14 AM

37. You’d need to solder directly to the ATmega1280 chip. Very small!

Comment by Michael on April 21, 2012 at 11:37 AM

38. it is easy for me. Thank you for answer

Comment by Vint on April 21, 2012 at 11:40 AM

39. made 2 lines PE2, PD4 and it act. but how to correct frame scroll up?

Comment by Vint on April 21, 2012 at 1:05 PM

40. Wiring details for Mega here: http://nootropicdesign.com/projectlab/2011/07/13/ve-on-the-seeeduino-mega/

Comment by Michael on April 21, 2012 at 1:18 PM

41. Yes Its works!!!!!!!!! (make mistake on pin 21) :)

Comment by Vint on April 21, 2012 at 1:35 PM

42. Thanks for your tutorial Michael, it’s new idea and interesting for me !!! :)

I have some question for you..

1. Can that device (arduino + V.Experimenter) detect the pattern of line if I take the video on the road (for example zebra cross/vertikal line) ??
    2. How to get the real distance between camera an the object? Can you explained me?

Comment by red on May 28, 2012 at 10:37 PM

43. @red:
    The Arduino and Video Experimenter can capture low-res monochrome image info in memory. You can write software to look for certain patterns, etc., but it would be difficult to do anything sophisticated.

You can’t measure distance using a camera…!

Comment by Michael on May 29, 2012 at 8:35 AM

44. Thanks for your reply Michael :)

Did you ever use the photodioda / led to replace the light from flashlight??

And then, in your video. The light from flashlight can be detect with V.experimenter and at the TV / screen can show the coordinate from the flash..Can the arduino control the motor servo from the movement of coordinate.. Maybe you can explain me.

Trims for your reply,. :D

Comment by red on May 31, 2012 at 7:45 AM

45. Yes, in theory you could use the Arduino to control other devices while it detects the location of a bright spot in the captured image.

Comment by Michael on May 31, 2012 at 8:53 AM

46. Ok Michale..
    I have IC MAX7456 for OSD, can that IC replace the LM1881? Coz I have search and ask to my friends and the reply is that IC is difficult to get.. My plan is build the V.Experimenter without the LM1881 and change with MAX7456..
    Hope the tvout library more powerfull with the MAX7456,. Thanks for everyone who create the tvout, and maybe it can be update,. :)

Comment by red on June 4, 2012 at 8:07 AM

47. Of course you can’t replace the LM1881 with a different chip. The Video Experimenter is designed for the LM1881.

The limitations of resolution and such are due to the Arduino, not due to the LM1881.

The LM1881 is not hard to get — why don’t you just but a Video Experimenter shield? We ship everywhere in the world.

Comment by Michael on June 4, 2012 at 8:40 AM

48. Could this be used in conjunction with a laser/camera for a simple rangefinder type device?

Or perhaps as a sort of low res mapping and navigation using a camera?

Comment by cobaltphoenix on July 25, 2012 at 12:16 PM

49. @Jonothan,
    You could use this to makemthe shields compatible by rewriting and recoding:

Comment by Anonymous on August 16, 2012 at 11:48 PM

50. If you are looking for the dark object. When you are computing the bounding box would you not be looking for when c=0. found=true when a black pixel is detected?? Any help is appreciated.

Comment by PD_ on March 29, 2013 at 1:49 PM

51. PD, yes that is one way to find dark objects. Or invert the image and look for white.

Comment by Michael on March 30, 2013 at 9:20 AM

52. I am currently having problems with this code. As of now I am using a nested for loop like in the above code, I then read the pixel at that location. Every pixel I read is being interpreted as a ’1′ or white. I verified that the image is correct by outputting the video to the tv and the black disc is showing in the picture but at the same time every pixel is being interpreted as a ’1′ which is white. Has anybody had similar problems or have any suggestions for me. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment by PD_ on March 30, 2013 at 5:59 PM

53. There are black pixels on the output but get_pixel returns value of 1 for the black pixels? I don’t see he that could happen since the reference the same memory.

Comment by Michael on March 30, 2013 at 6:12 PM

54. I even put my code to the side and used this code exactly and uncommented the tv(invert) line. It sees everything as a white pixel. I tested this by doing a serial.println(“found black pixel”) inside the if ( c==1) statement and it never gets to this. Could it be my camera? I am currently laying a black disc made of delrin material on a white background. The disk made of delrin is the object my robot has to pick up. I’m using a Black and white camera but I dont see why that would cause any problems.

Comment by PD_ on March 30, 2013 at 6:27 PM

55. Also is the video out supposed to be that monochrome of image of either a ’1′ or ’0′ because the image showing up on my tv looks just as it would without using the video experimenter and has a gray scale to it. This makes me think maybe I made a soldering error when assembling the experimenter.

Comment by PD_ on March 30, 2013 at 6:29 PM

56. Serial comm won’t work with the VE. You need to use poll serial. Have you been able to output any serial data? And the output of the be VE is only monochrome. No grayscale.

Comment by Michael on March 30, 2013 at 6:52 PM

57. I was using the serial comm and I was getting it to work when I changed the code to look for a white pixel. I had it print the x and y when a white pixel was first found and it was always (0,0). So if I’m not getting the monochrome image from the output of the VE then you’re saying there was an assembling error on my part? The reason I ask is because even in the above video when the guy is outputting his video to the computer it is not in monochrome and it seems he is doing it from the output of his VE.I want to thank you for going over this with me and helping.

Comment by PD_ on March 30, 2013 at 6:57 PM

58. The output of the Arduino program is monochrome. It can be overlayed onto the original image as in the video above. If you set your switch to sync only then you will only see the monochrome captured frame. What do you see? Are all pixels white? Did you adjust threshold pot? Forget about image processing for now and just try the Video Frame Capture project and set the switch to SYNC ONLY.

Comment by Michael on March 31, 2013 at 9:21 AM

59. Okay I am now getting a monochrome video output with the switch to sync. After adjusting the pot I am no longer getting an all white screen.So thank you. Can you explain to me the poll serial communication or show me a link to the library and explanation? The program I am trying to write will be difficult to troubleshoot or see what is happening without the ability to write to the serial window. Also if I invert the image in the code should the image also show up inverted for the output or is it only inverted internally?

Comment by PD_ on March 31, 2013 at 3:39 PM

60. See File->Examples->TVout for pollserial examples. And Google. Inverting inverts the memory which is directly reflected in output.

Comment by Michael on March 31, 2013 at 4:13 PM

61. hey im dong this – light tracking – project for the school… but when I connect this to my computer and want to upload the code i got these errors:

sketch_apr05a:6: error: ‘TVout’ does not name a type
    sketch_apr05a.ino: In function ‘void setup()’:
    sketch_apr05a:14: error: ‘tv’ was not declared in this scope
    sketch_apr05a:14: error: ‘NTSC’ was not declared in this scope
    sketch_apr05a:18: error: ‘font4x6′ was not declared in this scope
    sketch_apr05a.ino: In function ‘void __vector_1()’:
    sketch_apr05a:49: error: ‘display’ was not declared in this scope
    sketch_apr05a.ino: In function ‘void loop()’:
    sketch_apr05a:54: error: ‘tv’ was not declared in this scope
    ———————————————————————————————–
    and im just wondering if this is normal – when I connect my camera and tv on, will work or did I miss something? I’m a begginer so I dont know much of Arduino programming.
    I would be very gratefull if you can reply on my mail, because I really need this up and running.
    I appreciate for respond.

Comment by miha on April 5, 2013 at 12:33 PM

62. Please do not comment to ask for help. See full product details or use the support forum to get help.

Comment by Michael on April 7, 2013 at 8:13 AM

63. Hello!! I just bought the kit and now I´m thinking about measurement. Could I sample (hmx – hmin) and after display at the digit shield, or the pins that I need to use the digit shield is not availeble?

Comment by Roberto on August 8, 2013 at 7:09 AM

64. I’m afraid the Video Experimenter shield isn’t going to play nice with the Digit Shield. The VE shield is using a lot of pins, some in conflict with Digit Shield.

Comment by Michael on August 8, 2013 at 8:28 AM

65. Hi there I’m wondering how it would be possible to use this board to track an object, I mean like physically make a robot go to the detected object, is this possible?

Comment by Sam on September 30, 2013 at 9:26 AM

66. @Sam, That would be pretty hard for an Arduino to do…
    Finding a single bright spot is a simple algorithm. Matching an object to a template is much harder.

Comment by Michael on September 30, 2013 at 10:32 AM

67. Sir actually I need to know much about how to use image proceesing in ardunio. Is we shold write the code in matable or in any other language please help me

Comment by rakshitha on March 17, 2014 at 11:43 AM