Anyone planing to upgrade this sheild?

Store Forums Video Experimenter General Discussion Anyone planing to upgrade this sheild?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    burraak

Its been almost 2 years I think the great video experimenter shield need an upgrade with improved on board image processing ,color overly and color output etc in other words full feature frame grabber/processor for arduino 🙂

Michael
    Keymaster

And how would you propose accomplishing all of that on an ATmega328 microcontroller? The reason it can’t do more than it does is because there is only 2K of memory in the Arduino, and you can’t generate the composite video color burst with a 16MHz clock speed. There’s only so much you can do with an Arduino.

burraak

Sorry for the late reply actually I was looking for an answer coz I’m no electronics expert but curious to see video experimenter shield expanding its capabilities

Just wanted to know isn’t it possible to borrow some SOC like recently released ARDUINO YUN shield did, to do some serious stuff??

Like these chips
    http://www.conexant.com/Product/video/vd/CX25824/Pages/default.aspx
    http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/slas183/slas183.pdf‎

Can we merge them into video experimenter shield??? ???

Raza159

I think you could use an external pot connected to A2. If you make a voltage divider using another resistor, then the resistance of the pot will determine a smaller voltage range.

For example: connect the 5V source to 30K or 40K of resistance, then to the left lead of the pot. The middle lead of the pot goes to A2. The rightmost lead of the pot goes to GND. This way, the full range of the pot will provide 0V – 1V to A2 and this will allow finer adjustment.

Michael
    Keymaster

Yes, that is a great idea and in fact I have designed a V2 of the board which is being made right now. It has a 20K resistor to create a divider on A2, so the pot range is expanded.

Michael
    Keymaster

With the V2 board, the threshhold pot has a wider range so it is easier to adjust. It’s a minor improvement.

esraa

good design and amazing Technic

mrbig
    Participant

Hi, great project!

Did you consider using an ESP32? It’s pretty cheap, and has all the juice that would be needed for handling grayscale framebuffer.

There are also boards like the TTgo 32 that shares the arduino footprint.

William Fisher
    Participant

It seems like the limiting factor is the Arduino Uno, but there are many newer, inexpensive and Arduino-friendly microcontroller boards available now. Teensy 4.1 for example runs at 600 MHz with 1M of RAM. It would be very interesting to redesign this with a board like that to see what could be done.

Michael
    Keymaster

I would like to design a new board (not a shield) from the ground up using a faster microcontroller but I just don’t have time. It’s a ton of work to develop a new product. Maybe someday.

Kevinmryan1903
    Participant

Would the shield work with stm32 (bluepill)? What mods to the code would have to be made?

Michael
    Keymaster

It would require a total rewrite because the video generation library (TVout) is written in AVR assembly.

Kevinmryan1903
    Participant

Is there any way to update so TVOut can work on for STM32 chips?

Michael
    Keymaster

No, TVout is written in AVR assembly.

ewr2san
    Participant

I’ve been reading through a lot of the threads and thinking of designing my own shield to run on the RPi2040. Main stumbling block being the libraries for TVout and especially TVin.

My use case is for digitizing the video feed from a PXL 2000. Even at low res and low FPS UNO cant possibly keep up with grabbing frames and writing them out to an SD card. But with all the improvements on RPi 2040 sitcks it seems like it could work.

It’s a very backburner project for me.. Well behind a lot of other stuff.. Anyone else interested?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.