Basic Video Overlay possible?

Store Forums Video Experimenter General Discussion Basic Video Overlay possible?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    DataCrypt

Hello, I am very interested in the Video Experimenter overlay board for a current project I’m working on. I need to be able to draw a couple of horizontal lines completely across the middle of the screen (about 3cm apart) and 2 lines vertically down the entire screen placed about 3cm from each side. It’s just a very simple overlay that will not move and is simply used to visually align things I place under a live camera video feed.

I believe this board with an Arduino would be a great solution. I was wondering if it’s possible to attach a few buttons to the inputs of the Ardunio and code the script to allow me to move the lines on the screen to desired positions? Is what I’d like to do possible with the Video Experimenter shield and Ardunio? I have a high resolution grey scale camera capable of the NTSC video output that I would use. Any sample code or examples on how to setup the inputs to adjust the line positions would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
    Data

Michael
    Keymaster

Yes, that’s possible with some simple Arduino programming. The Arduino site is the best resource for learning how to use analog and digital inputs, and you should find it no problem to use the user input to move the lines.

http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/DigitalPins

http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/DigitalRead

DataCrypt

Thank you for the prompt reply Michael. I’ll order the Video Experimenter shield and then get to work on the programming. Will this work with the latest Arduino UNO R3?

Kind Regards,
    Data

Michael
    Keymaster

Yes, it works on the Uno (all revisions are the same microcontroller).

044hnoor

I was wondering if it’s possible to attach a few buttons to the inputs of the Ardunio and code the script to allow me to move the lines on the screen to desired positions?

Michael
    Keymaster

yes, you should be able to do that. Just use digitalRead to read the buttons.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.