change components

Store Forums Defusable Clock General Discussion change components

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    woudy

hello
    I want to put a more powerful siren instead of the buzzer provided in the kit
    I stock a 110dB siren 12V, can I plug it directly instead?

the way I would do that would be to connect the buzzer leads to a suitable relay that triggers the other device.

That’s the major change I intend to make, by capturing that output you can make anything happen.

woudy

Yes, I tried to use a relay on a previous attempt homemade timer
    except I do not know why, mounting relay + diode have never wanted to run correctly

Michael
    Keymaster

You should be able to hack this device however you want, especially if you change the software. If you have a USB to serial adapter cable or breakout board, then you can program it with Arduino. The code is available on the Hack page : http://nootropicdesign.com/defusableclock/hack.html

Agree that using a relay is the right way to trigger a 12V siren.

Glad you guys are thinking about hacks and mods already!

woudy

work on the source code of the device to add functions out of my skills
    I just thought to put out original buzzer, siren 9 volt or at worst a relay + diode assembly (except that it is my previous edit did not work)

well, the 12v device won’t run directly in line because the system has at most 9v power.

What I would use is something like
    http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/SSRT-240D10/PB553-ND/678187

they are expensive but I have several that I have scavenged out of various broken machines. So what you are looking for is something with an operating voltage with a low end below 9. And the load voltage higher than what ever you want to plug in. These ones will let you turn on your coffee pot, so they are overkill I just use them for various automation ideas.

You mentioned a diode, were you trying to setup a protection diode for the load circuit?

woudy

thanks for info
    I’ll get my papers from my previous montages to show you, but from memory, the diode was mounted to protect the relay output

yeah that would be correct. A diode is placed “backwards” across the load side of the relay to prevent voltage spikes. I normally am using the relay to control AC on/off which gets voltage spikes anway so I don’t normally think to include that.

woudy

i wait for my package
    after mount kit and test it, il try to mount another relay with protection diode and i give feedback here

woudy

installation in the bag is being
    by cons, I had another idea (twisted?)
    Is it possible to mount another display in Parallel?
    if so, what is the reference of the display of origin or type of display to take to make it poses no problems

Michael
    Keymaster

woudy, I don’t understand a thing you just said. Try again?

woudy

i’m french and google translate don’t work perfectly
    i received my defusable clock kit last week and work to mount it into a briefcase (i make some pictures when it’s done)
    but i have à idea for custom
    i want mount two digit display in parallel
    but i don’t know if defusable clock support 2 display and if yes qhere i can buy second display (or if another model work)

Michael
    Keymaster

This is the display:
    http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Avago-Technologies/HDSP-B04E/?qs=pQfy5%252bKCabL91a9uYjyX4Q%3d%3d

Most common anode clock displays have the same pinout.

Technically you could drive two displays from a single 74LS247 chip if you keep the current low enough. Each output can sink 40mA. With 150 ohm resistors, the LEDs are using about 20mA. In other words, you’d need at least 150 ohm resistors on each segment of the second display. It would be difficult to wire, also, but you can do it by consulting the Defusable Clock schematic.

woudy

perfect !
    thanks a lot

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.