Color output

Store Forums Video Experimenter General Discussion Color output

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jcarb
    Participant

I came across this thread in the arduino forums. Is there a chance it’s code could be reused to generate color video overlays? I know the circuit would need some modifications but that is no problem

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=169674.0

Michael
    Keymaster

To get color, people have to replace the 16MHz crystal on the Arduino with a 14.31818MHz crystal. This is hte frequency of the color burst portion of a composite signal.
    I’m not sure color is possible without doing that.

jcarb
    Participant

That makes sense, I have a few breadboard Arduinos where I could replace the crystal.

By any chance is there a way to get black output? I recall seeing a thread where a MOSFET was used to sink current to adjust the black level but can’t seem to find it. It would make reading text against bright surfaces much easier!

Michael
    Keymaster

Here is a discussion about using a MOSFET or 4066 analog switch. I used a 4066 analog switch to turn off the video signal for lines in a certain range.

https://nootropicdesign.com/store/forums/topic/black-letters/

It was a long time ago, so the details may be fuzzy for me….

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Michael.
    jcarb
    Participant

It has been a while! I ordered the parts last year but never got around to trying it. I found this youtube video that has the tvout with color code, I was able to get it to compile but do not have any 14.3MHz crystals on hand.

I am ok with modifying my Arduino’s crystal, do you think that code and the TVOUT-VE code can be merged/branched?

Michael
    Keymaster

The TVout-VE code is on GitHub, so feel free to fork the repo and apply the changes if you think it can be done. I assume the TVout code to do color has many modifications. I’m just buried in other projects and not doing any video stuff now. (Video Experimenter is from 2010)

jcarb
    Participant

I took a gander at the code and at first glance they appear to be totally different. I will probably have better luck comparing the normal TVout to TVout-VE to find the differences then apply that to the TVout-color code. I am not too familiar with AVR assembly though

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.