Digit display problems

Store Forums Defusable Clock Bugs/Problems Digit display problems

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Guardian

I assembled the board and have a problem with LED display follows…
    – D segment of the seconds digit ghosts while displaying one, four, seven.
    – D segment of the tens seconds digit never lights.
    -hour digit displays good
    – D segment of the tens hours digit ghosts while displaying one, four, seven.

Any ideas what could cause this?

Michael
    Keymaster

It sounds like you may have some shorts on your board. Make sure none of your solder connections have formed bridges with adjacent pins. Can you take a high quality picture (not blurry phone picture) of the back of the board and either post it here or email it to support@nootropicdesign.com? I can have a look.

Guardian

I checked under a jewellers loop and the board looks good. No shorts and all good solders.
    I have confirmed the fault is internal to the 4 digit display unit by removing it and tested it on my breadboard. Discovered that the d segment of A3 does not light when properly driven. Other combinations show ghosting on the offending digits.

Michael
    Keymaster

Ok, sounds like you isolated the problem. I will send a replacement LED display right away. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Guardian

Thanks that would be great.
    Do you have the programming cable in stock? I will buy one at your store today also. (if not i will look around locally for one)

Michael
    Keymaster

Yep it’s in stock. If you order one, I can just include the replacement display…

Guardian

Done…

Guardian

@Michael wrote:

Ok, sounds like you isolated the problem. I will send a replacement LED display right away. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Replacement received. New LED display works like a charm. Thanks

Michael
    Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback. This is the first time I’ve had a failure of this LED display.

I am having a problem with the display as well. Can you guys help!? I plugged it in and it gives this display. I have rechecked the solder and cannot find any bad connections. It gives the same display every time I plug it in. The countdown works fine, including the LEDs and audio beeps. Thanks for the help. Also, do I have the connections correct to put a 9v battery? I assumed the + and – were for a battery terminal connection. This can obviously be removed if this is incorrect.

Michael
    Keymaster

What happens when you change the time with the MIN and HOUR buttons? I need a better indication as to which segments are not functioning. If a particular segment does not work on any digit then I can tell you which connections to check. Is there any consistency between the digits?

the hours and mins buttons work, however the display is the problem. the PM LED works as well, but cuts off after releasing the button on the hour.

The far left digit doesn’t display fully either.

Michael
    Keymaster

Yes, but I’m trying to figure out exactly which segments don’t work. Only you can tell me that by cycling through the numbers and paying attention to which segments you expect to illuminate compared to what actually does illuminate.

Based on a few images, I can see that the B segment (upper right segment) does not seem to work. Correct? Are there any others that never turn on? Or do all other 6 turn on with no problem?

To fix the B segment, look at these connections: http://nootropicdesign.com/defusableclock/support/board_segmentB.jpg

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Michael.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Michael.
    Duncan57
    Participant

Hi, did the email that Michael post, still working? thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.