Don’t shoot me, color question!

Store Forums Video Experimenter General Discussion Don’t shoot me, color question!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    needle

Hi again,

i’m very much aware of the fact that i can’t squeeze color out of the arduino, although i’ve been experimenting with the vga shield which allows 16color 🙂

i was wondering, if there was another hardware solution to make the white text, change to a color.

so i would setup my arduino with the VEshield and add another IC thingy to the video output signal.

i tried searching google but i’m not sure what i’m looking for, so any body got any ideas?

Michael
    Keymaster

Unfortunately, composite video is quite complex when it comes to color. You’d have to provide a sine wave of the right frequency, and also have a precisely timed “color burst” wave. I really don’t know how to do that in any simple way. Everyone wants color, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_video

You need to check out Parallax’s Propeller Backpack, here:here

Will allow you to overlay colored text in several sizes w/several placement locations including boxes.

needle

seems like a nice product 🙂

any idea how to use this with an arduino?

couldn’t find a library…

i also never saw this before

Michael
    Keymaster

The Propeller Backpack is not for use with Arduino. It is Propeller-based and is a standalone solution. Propeller chips have video ability built-in. The downside is that you have to program them in the goofy SPIN language instead of C/C++. I think this has prevented Propeller from really taking off in the hobbyist world like Arduino, even though Propeller is a more powerful MCU. Other thoughts?

bellag

Can anyone assist how in how i might offset the display up or down to enable characters to appear nearer the top or bottom of the display. I’m not trying to enlarge area W 136 H 96 just trying shift it vertically. Many thanks Tim?

Michael
    Keymaster

This question belongs in a different topic because it’s not about color.
    But you can modify the video timings by changing values in TVout/spec/video_properties.h

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.