flickering display

Store Forums Defusable Clock Bugs/Problems flickering display

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    rickmorin62

I assembled the kit and the display won’t light until I touch the soldered side of the 74HC595 chip. Then the display will light solid or flicker. If I touch other contacts in the chip the display may go or flicker or go out depending on what it is already doing. This happens with or without the ATMEGAA328 chip in its socket. I have checked all solder connections under a microscope and I can not find any bad/cold solder joints. Still I resoldered all connections, with the same results. I used a 60/40 lead rosin core Kester Solder for all connections. I suspect either the 74HC595 or the ATMEGAA328 may be defective. But I don’t know how to test the chips. Thanks for your help. Rick.

Michael
    Keymaster

This indicates that the ATMEGA is not running. I have experienced this when the solder connections associated with the crystal are bad. It’s also possible that your ATMEGA is not programmed properly (somehow).

Do you have the ability to program the chip? That is, do you have an Arduino or a USB->serial adapter or cable?

Also, where are you located? If in the US, I can easily send you another ATMEGA.

rickmorin62

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I can’t program the ATMEG chip. I will however triple check the crystal connections. And yes, I do live in the US, but I’d rather not post my address. you can email me at rickmorin62@gmail.com Thanks again. Rick

rickmorin62

Received the new ATMEG chip today and installed it in the board. CLOCK WORKS PERFECTLY!!!! Thanks Michael 😀

mithanbaba

hi
    I not understand
    if switch on, the clock is open
    for go to the contdown, you must push on button DET.
    your select the time of countdown with button Hours and minute
    and if you want to lauch the countdown, you must push on button DET again.

I search to make …
    if switch on , the clock is not open but the countdown is open
    your select the time of countdown with button Hours and minute
    and if you want to lauch the countdown, you must push on button DET

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.