Remote via audio sampling?

Store Forums Lumazoid General Discussion Remote via audio sampling?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    webguydan
    Participant

Regarding some of the earlier posts on a possible remote control for some of the hard-button features of the lumazoid, I was wondering if it would be possible to utilize the existing audio sampling to do something similar.

For instance, if a short audio clip were to be played with simple, rapid, tones that matched a certain signal pattern, it would mirror a button press. Such a clip could then be used in playlists for instance, if quick settings changes are needed for certain types of music.

Just an idea – but I was curious if programming something like that could be feasible with the given setup.

Michael
    Keymaster

That’s a really interesting idea! I think it would be difficult in practice. The Lumazoid takes 128 samples and then performs FFT on them before updating the display. I think you’d need to fit the “signal” into the 128 sample FFT, which means it would be very very short. The sample rate is around 9000 samples per second, so we are talking about a tiny fraction of a second.
    Also, the Lumazoid is not always “listening”. It listens, then analyzes, then updates the display. That’s why you miss some beats in the music occasionally.
    Very interesting idea, though. Now I’m thinking….

webguydan
    Participant

Hmmm, interesting. I wonder if it would be possible to buffer a number of individual FFT samples (for error correction purposes) and trigger something if it detects a certain number of them (they would have to be stored in memory, though. Not sure if there is capacity for that). They could possibly be in the lower frequency range so as to not be as audible.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.