Wireless Temperature Sensor using RF Transmitter/Receiver

Difficulty Level = 5 [What’s this?]

UPDATE: Also see this project for an easy way to display a temperature reading: Digit Shield Temperature Display.

A while back, I did a wireless temperature sensor project using XBee radios. XBee radios are really powerful devices with good reliability and the ability to read and transmit sensor readings without a microcontroller. BUT, they are difficult for people to configure, the documentation is hard to understand, and it’s really difficult to parse the API data packets at the receiving station. So I decided to try the same project using inexpensive RF devices. I used a 434MHz transmitter ($4) and receiver ($5) from Sparkfun, and had great success with these cheap devices. I also used a simple LM34 Fahrenheit temperature sensor, two Arduinos (one was a homemade breadboard version), and a two-digit LED display to show the temperature at the receiver end.

The Receiver

RF receiver with temperature display

I used a single 74LS247 BCD to 7-segment driver chip for the display. The segment pins of the two digits are connected together, so I need to multiplex between the digits to show only one at a time. The multiplexing is so fast, there’s no flicker. The segments have common anodes and I used two PNP transistors to provide current to the anodes. Don’t ever drive the anodes directly from an Arduino output pin because it’s too much current!

The RF receiver’s data pin is connected to the RX pin on the Arduino so we can just use the Serial library to read data at a slow 1200 bps. That is fast enough for temperature sensor readings. A 17cm antenna (the green wire) is attached to the ANT pin on the RF receiver.

RF Receiver Schematic (click to enlarge)

Here is the code running on the receiver Arduino. These RF devices can pick up a lot of noise, so drawing on the work of others, I used a simple protocol which includes a packet header with a network identifier and target address, the data, and a checksum to catch errors. This provides robustness for the communication link.

Another important note is that the multiplexing between the two display digits is handled in an interrupt handler. The loop() code never has to do anything with the display. Timer2 is configured to fire an interrupt when the timer2 counter overflows, so the ISR near the end of this code runs about every 2ms and simply toggles which display is active. This is fast enough to provide perfectly smooth display without any fuss. All the register manipulation in the setup() method is the configuration of Timer2. I really like this way of handling the multiplexing automatically. You can download the code here.

#define PACKET_HEADER_SIZE 3
#define PAYLOAD_SIZE 1
#define CHECKSUM_SIZE 1
#define PACKET_SIZE (PACKET_HEADER_SIZE + PAYLOAD_SIZE + CHECKSUM_SIZE)
#define ADDR 1

return val;

void setValue(byte n) {
  d1 = n / 10;
  d2 = n % 10;

void setOutput(byte d) {
  // This is more complex because the 74LS247 inputs are on
  // nonconsecutive Arduino output pins (for ease of soldering).
  PORTD &= ~0x3C; // turn off digital pins 2-5
  if ((d & 0x1) > 0) {
    // 74LS247 input A connected to Arduino pin 5
    PORTD |= (1 << PORTD5);
  if ((d & 0x2) > 0) {
    // 74LS247 input B connected to Arduino pin 2
    PORTD |= (1 << PORTD2);
  if ((d & 0x4) > 0) {
    // 74LS247 input C connected to Arduino pin 3
    PORTD |= (1 << PORTD3);
  if ((d & 0x8) > 0) {
    // 74LS247 input D connected to Arduino pin 4
    PORTD |= (1 << PORTD4);
}

// Interrupt service routine is invoked when timer2 overflows.
ISR(TIMER2_OVF_vect) {
  TCNT2 = 0;
  if (digitToggle == 0) {
    PORTD |= (1 << PORTD7);  // turn off digit 2
    setOutput(d1);
    PORTD &= ~(1 << PORTD6); // turn on digit 1
  } else {
    PORTD |= (1 << PORTD6);  // turn off digit 1
    setOutput(d2);
    PORTD &= ~(1 << PORTD7); // turn on digit 2
  digitToggle = ~digitToggle;

The Transmitter

RF transmitter and temperature sensor on breadboard Arduino

The unfortunate thing about using the RF transmitter is that it's a lot dumber than an XBee radio (but a lot cheaper, too). It has no ability to read the voltage on a pin and transmit it, so I had to use a microcontroller of some sort. At first I wanted to use an ATtiny13, but it has no UART for the serial transmission control. Then I wanted to use my ATtiny2313 which does have a UART, but doesn't have an analog to digital converter (ADC)! The smallest AVR microcontroller that I own that has both ADC and UART is the ATmega328. At this point I figured I might as well use a full-blown Arduino. I don't have two Arduinos so I built a breadboard version for use at the transmitter. You can just use a regular Arduino if you have one handy, or team up with a friend who has one.

An LM34 temperature sensor outputs a variable voltage depending on the temperature. The mapping is extremely simple: 10mV for every Fahrenheit degree. So, at 72 degrees F, the output is 720mV. The Arduino TX pin is simply connected to the data pin on the transmitter.

Here's the schematic. There's an LED attached to pin 13 that I blink every time a sensor reading is transmitted (not shown in schematic).

RF Transmitter Schematic (click to enlarge)

Here's the code running on the transmitter ATmega328. You can download the code here.

#define SENSOR_ANALOG_PIN 0

void writeByte(byte val) {
  byte checksum = (packetHeader[0] ^ packetHeader[1] ^ packetHeader[2] ^ val);
  Serial.write(packetHeader, PACKET_HEADER_SIZE);
  Serial.write(val);
  Serial.write(checksum);
}

That's all there is to it! This setup allowed me to transmit sensor readings reliably throughout my home, especially with a 17cm (1/4 wavelength of 434Mhz signal) antenna at the transmitter and receiver.

Published by Michael, on December 26th, 2010 at 8:07 pm. Filed under: Arduino,Level 5,RF Wireless. | 100 Comments |

100 Responses to “Wireless Temperature Sensor using RF Transmitter/Receiver”

1. @Seth, I would try a simple program that just displays a number. Then you can know whether your display is wired correctly.

Comment by Michael on March 26, 2013 at 5:26 PM

2. Michael, there is nothing that people are asking that they couldn’t find online or in a book. They are just being lazy. You can not teach people that only want an instant answer and won’t help themselves. I get annoyed just reading the inane questions. Why don’t you just leave your comments section open for a couple of weeks then move on.

Comment by Grumpy on April 1, 2013 at 3:06 AM

3. Hello Micheal,

I am using two Arduino Uno’s and a 434 MHz receiver and transmitter. After successfully sending a number to the receiver, I attached the rest of the circuit am still nothing? I am getting a double blinking zero. Any advice?

Comment by Seth on April 10, 2013 at 3:48 PM

4. Michael,

So I don’t think the circuit is multiplexing. All I am getting are double numbers. But I downloaded the code from your site, so I am not sure what exactly has gone wrong. Just thought I would share that, please any information would be extremely helpful.

Comment by Seth on April 10, 2013 at 6:37 PM

5. Are you sure your anode aren’t connected together? Are you sure you’ve wired everything the same as I did? I’m not sure how I did everything as this was years ago.

Comment by Michael on April 10, 2013 at 7:10 PM

6. Michael,

With the code written above, could you multiplex any faster?

Comment by Seth on April 11, 2013 at 3:33 PM

7. Michael,

I was wondering do you have to declare the Tx and/or Rx pins in either of the codes?

thanks

Comment by Seth on April 22, 2013 at 6:24 PM

8. This is exactly what I have been looking for!!!…Thanks for sharing this tutorial! Now my only question would be how would you use the temperature reading to cause something to turn on or off? For instance, when the temperature drops below 80 degrees a fan turns on. I understand how to do everything with wires, just a little confused as to how I would do this remotely. Do you think the remote controlled outlets will be a good place to start?

Comment by Tim on August 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM

9. I’d consider using a relay to turn the fan on.

Comment by Michael on August 15, 2013 at 9:16 AM

10. HI.sir .which type of ardino board u used in this circuit

Comment by muthupandi on August 18, 2013 at 9:18 AM

11. muthupandi: Arduino Duemilanove. Uno also works.

Comment by Michael on August 18, 2013 at 10:22 AM

12. Hi sir, Can I use arduino board in receiver also? and from where it is getting power?

Comment by Pooran Chand on September 18, 2013 at 1:13 PM

13. The project explains clearly that an Arduino is part of the receiver. See the picture? The Arduino is powered however you’d like.

Comment by Michael on September 18, 2013 at 1:19 PM

14. Sir, Can i try it with 8051 also? or please suggest some inexpensive alternative for arduina…..and thanx for reply

Comment by Pooran Chand on September 20, 2013 at 12:38 AM

15. i would like to ask you if the library VirtualWire was not used in this codes? thanks

Comment by ralph on March 20, 2014 at 5:15 AM

16. ralph, no the VirtualWire lib was not used. See the code above. It’s all there for you to read.

Comment by Michael on March 20, 2014 at 7:54 AM

17. Where i will connect 8 and 16 pin of the 74LS247? The 7-seg only displays 77 and i use battery

Comment by ralph on March 20, 2014 at 10:45 AM

18. Pin 8 is ground, pin 16 if +5V

Comment by Michael on March 20, 2014 at 11:16 AM

19. Hey I am making an induction cooktop. And I will be using temperature sensor to measure the temperature of the Hot vessel used for cooking. Is it fine if I use LM34 for that. I want to transmit the temperature readings as you did through wireless transmitter and receiver to the receiving side micro controller.

Comment by akshay on April 16, 2014 at 7:49 PM

20. Sends an unsigned int over the RF network
    void writeByte(byte val) {
    byte checksum = (packetHeader[0] ^ packetHeader[1] ^ packetHeader[2] ^ val);
    Serial.write(0xF0);
    Serial.write(packetHeader, PACKET_HEADER_SIZE);
    Serial.write(val);
    Serial.write(checksum);
    }

can you please explain me this part. please

Comment by akshay on April 22, 2014 at 5:15 AM

21. I’m not sure what you want explained. It computes a checksum, then sends the data plus the checksum.

Comment by Michael on April 22, 2014 at 9:33 AM

22. Hi Michael, it rely works well, but i want to change lm 34 to lm35, can i get program for lm35/celsius for transmitter and is dat same program i must use in receiver?

Comment by Mahes on April 30, 2014 at 5:16 AM

23. I want to be able to receive multiple wireless temperature inputs how can I differentiate them?

Comment by Rick on May 26, 2014 at 8:51 AM

24. @Rick,
    You’d need to code specifically for that situation. Maybe just identify the readings from the 2 sensors with a distinct identifier when you send the data.

Comment by Michael on May 26, 2014 at 11:50 AM

25. Really Good Work………..

Ravi Saini

Comment by Ravi Saini on August 7, 2014 at 3:24 AM

26. hi michael, may I know where the rf transmitter and receiver located in the Eagle library? I want to do circuit simulation, using the Eagle Software..I’m using these components with the HT12D and HT12E..really appreciate your help,..thank you very much and I hope you can reply me soon..

Comment by akmar on August 20, 2014 at 3:07 AM

27. Hi, i’m new in arduino, i need help, i try to use a HC-sr04 prox sensor and send the data thru 433 rf module, and use a second arduino (receiver) to print the data in a serial console.

Comment by Luis Franco on February 10, 2015 at 5:37 PM

28. i only have a lcd 16×2 display, and i am a newbie in programming arduino….please i need help coding the receiver program

Comment by Israel on February 22, 2015 at 2:52 PM

29. i only have a lcd 16×2 display, and i am a newbie in programming arduino….please i need help coding the receiver
    program to use the lcd display

Comment by Israel on February 22, 2015 at 2:53 PM

30. Israel, that is no way to get help. You can’t ask others to drop their projects to help you with yours.

Comment by Michael on February 22, 2015 at 2:55 PM

31. Hello, Please Help!
    For me this project is not working.
    I use for receiver Arduino Uno and 433Mhz receiver.
    Sketch:
    #define PACKET_HEADER_SIZE 3
    #define PAYLOAD_SIZE 1
    #define CHECKSUM_SIZE 1
    #define PACKET_SIZE (PACKET_HEADER_SIZE + PAYLOAD_SIZE + CHECKSUM_SIZE)
    #define ADDR 1
    PORTD |= (1 < 0) {
    // 74LS247 input C connected to Arduino pin 3
    PORTD |= (1 < 0) {
    // 74LS247 input D connected to Arduino pin 4
    PORTD |= (1 << PORTD4);
    }
    // Interrupt service routine is invoked when timer2 overflows.
    ISR(TIMER2_OVF_vect) {
    TCNT2 = 0;
    if (digitToggle == 0) {
    PORTD |= (1 << PORTD7); // turn off digit 2
    setOutput(d1);
    PORTD &= ~(1 << PORTD6); // turn on digit 1
    } else {
    PORTD |= (1 << PORTD6); // turn off digit 1
    setOutput(d2);
    PORTD &= ~(1 << PORTD7); // turn on digit 2
    digitToggle = ~digitToggle;
    }

I use for Transmitter Arduino Nano and 433Mhz transmitter and LM35 Sensor.
    Sketch:
    Serial.write(val);
    Serial.write(checksum);
    //Serial.write(SENSOR_ANALOG_PIN);
    It does not work.
    Please Help!!!

Comment by Lutz on June 22, 2015 at 7:40 AM

32. WHAT IS THE RANGE OF RF SIGNAL BETWEEN transmitter and receiver??????????
    Please help ASAP