Wireless Temperature Sensor using RF Transmitter/Receiver

Difficulty Level = 5 [What’s this?]

UPDATE: Also see this project for an easy way to display a temperature reading: Digit Shield Temperature Display.

A while back, I did a wireless temperature sensor project using XBee radios. XBee radios are really powerful devices with good reliability and the ability to read and transmit sensor readings without a microcontroller. BUT, they are difficult for people to configure, the documentation is hard to understand, and it’s really difficult to parse the API data packets at the receiving station. So I decided to try the same project using inexpensive RF devices. I used a 434MHz transmitter ($4) and receiver ($5) from Sparkfun, and had great success with these cheap devices. I also used a simple LM34 Fahrenheit temperature sensor, two Arduinos (one was a homemade breadboard version), and a two-digit LED display to show the temperature at the receiver end.

The Receiver

RF receiver with temperature display

I used a single 74LS247 BCD to 7-segment driver chip for the display. The segment pins of the two digits are connected together, so I need to multiplex between the digits to show only one at a time. The multiplexing is so fast, there’s no flicker. The segments have common anodes and I used two PNP transistors to provide current to the anodes. Don’t ever drive the anodes directly from an Arduino output pin because it’s too much current!

The RF receiver’s data pin is connected to the RX pin on the Arduino so we can just use the Serial library to read data at a slow 1200 bps. That is fast enough for temperature sensor readings. A 17cm antenna (the green wire) is attached to the ANT pin on the RF receiver.

RF Receiver Schematic (click to enlarge)

Here is the code running on the receiver Arduino. These RF devices can pick up a lot of noise, so drawing on the work of others, I used a simple protocol which includes a packet header with a network identifier and target address, the data, and a checksum to catch errors. This provides robustness for the communication link.

Another important note is that the multiplexing between the two display digits is handled in an interrupt handler. The loop() code never has to do anything with the display. Timer2 is configured to fire an interrupt when the timer2 counter overflows, so the ISR near the end of this code runs about every 2ms and simply toggles which display is active. This is fast enough to provide perfectly smooth display without any fuss. All the register manipulation in the setup() method is the configuration of Timer2. I really like this way of handling the multiplexing automatically. You can download the code here.

#define PACKET_HEADER_SIZE 3
#define PAYLOAD_SIZE 1
#define CHECKSUM_SIZE 1
#define PACKET_SIZE (PACKET_HEADER_SIZE + PAYLOAD_SIZE + CHECKSUM_SIZE)
#define ADDR 1

while (pos < PACKET_HEADER_SIZE) {
    while (Serial.available() == 0); // Wait until something is available
    c = Serial.read();

if (c == packetHeader[pos]) {
      if (pos == PACKET_HEADER_SIZE-1) {
        byte checksum;

// Wait until something is available
        while (Serial.available() < PAYLOAD_SIZE + CHECKSUM_SIZE);

return val;

void setValue(byte n) {
  d1 = n / 10;
  d2 = n % 10;

void setOutput(byte d) {
  // This is more complex because the 74LS247 inputs are on
  // nonconsecutive Arduino output pins (for ease of soldering).
  PORTD &= ~0x3C; // turn off digital pins 2-5
  if ((d & 0x1) > 0) {
    // 74LS247 input A connected to Arduino pin 5
    PORTD |= (1 << PORTD5);
  if ((d & 0x2) > 0) {
    // 74LS247 input B connected to Arduino pin 2
    PORTD |= (1 << PORTD2);
  if ((d & 0x4) > 0) {
    // 74LS247 input C connected to Arduino pin 3
    PORTD |= (1 << PORTD3);
  if ((d & 0x8) > 0) {
    // 74LS247 input D connected to Arduino pin 4
    PORTD |= (1 << PORTD4);
}

// Interrupt service routine is invoked when timer2 overflows.
ISR(TIMER2_OVF_vect) {
  TCNT2 = 0;
  if (digitToggle == 0) {
    PORTD |= (1 << PORTD7);  // turn off digit 2
    setOutput(d1);
    PORTD &= ~(1 << PORTD6); // turn on digit 1
  } else {
    PORTD |= (1 << PORTD6);  // turn off digit 1
    setOutput(d2);
    PORTD &= ~(1 << PORTD7); // turn on digit 2
  digitToggle = ~digitToggle;

The Transmitter

RF transmitter and temperature sensor on breadboard Arduino

The unfortunate thing about using the RF transmitter is that it's a lot dumber than an XBee radio (but a lot cheaper, too). It has no ability to read the voltage on a pin and transmit it, so I had to use a microcontroller of some sort. At first I wanted to use an ATtiny13, but it has no UART for the serial transmission control. Then I wanted to use my ATtiny2313 which does have a UART, but doesn't have an analog to digital converter (ADC)! The smallest AVR microcontroller that I own that has both ADC and UART is the ATmega328. At this point I figured I might as well use a full-blown Arduino. I don't have two Arduinos so I built a breadboard version for use at the transmitter. You can just use a regular Arduino if you have one handy, or team up with a friend who has one.

An LM34 temperature sensor outputs a variable voltage depending on the temperature. The mapping is extremely simple: 10mV for every Fahrenheit degree. So, at 72 degrees F, the output is 720mV. The Arduino TX pin is simply connected to the data pin on the transmitter.

Here's the schematic. There's an LED attached to pin 13 that I blink every time a sensor reading is transmitted (not shown in schematic).

RF Transmitter Schematic (click to enlarge)

Here's the code running on the transmitter ATmega328. You can download the code here.

#define SENSOR_ANALOG_PIN 0

void writeByte(byte val) {
  byte checksum = (packetHeader[0] ^ packetHeader[1] ^ packetHeader[2] ^ val);
  Serial.write(packetHeader, PACKET_HEADER_SIZE);
  Serial.write(val);
  Serial.write(checksum);
}

That's all there is to it! This setup allowed me to transmit sensor readings reliably throughout my home, especially with a 17cm (1/4 wavelength of 434Mhz signal) antenna at the transmitter and receiver.

Published by Michael, on December 26th, 2010 at 8:07 pm. Filed under: Arduino,Level 5,RF Wireless. | 93 Comments |

93 Responses to “Wireless Temperature Sensor using RF Transmitter/Receiver”

1. WOW.. it’s really cool project!!

i am currently developing automatic clothes line using RF and connected it with rain detector… I’ just modified RF car controller to see whether it works or not.. :D

if it works, after that i will try to connect it with the system.. maybe c# or vb..

i’m looking forward to read your respond ;D

Comment by mahda on January 19, 2011 at 2:23 AM

2. Great project – I remember checking you out a while back, but came across your site again via today’s Make: post on the Hackvision. Congrats!

Anyways, just wanted to clarify about the antenna since you don’t go into much detail. I assume it’s the green insulated wire at both the receiver and transmitter – but for optimal range, do you find one type of wire better than another (ie. stranded vs solid, insulated vs bare)?

Comment by Steve on February 8, 2011 at 9:35 AM

3. @Steve,
    Yes, it’s the green wire. I didn’t experiment with different types of wire. I suspect that stranded will work just as well as solid, but I’m not an RF expert. The length is 17cm and I think that multiples of that (e.g. 34cm) will also provide good reception. Using the antenna helped a lot. Experiment!

Comment by Michael on February 8, 2011 at 9:42 AM

4. Hi, I am fairly new at electronics and I am just wondering why you have resistors on the cathode AND anode sides of the 7-seg displays?

Comment by Julian on February 20, 2011 at 8:57 PM

5. Also where do you ground the 7-seg displays, the schematic doesn’t seem to show this anywhere. Like I mentioned above, I’m new to electronics so forgive me if I’m simply misunderstanding the schematic…

Comment by Julian on February 20, 2011 at 9:03 PM

6. There are resistors on the cathodes (each segment). There are not resistors on the anodes. There is a 10K resistor on the base of the transistor, but the current on the anode is not limited by a resistor.

The cathodes are the ground of each LED. The 74LS247 chip sinks current.

Comment by Michael on February 20, 2011 at 9:16 PM

7. Hi, We are working on this project but we are confuse with transmission. What kind of data process by Micro controller. and what kind of data transmitted by transmitter. Is it transmitting ASCII?

Comment by Rahul on March 16, 2011 at 6:07 PM

8. No, it’s not transmitting the temperature as ASCII characters. It’s transmitting the temperature reading as a single byte. Look at the transmitter code. The line is “writeByte(temp);”

Comment by Michael on March 16, 2011 at 6:32 PM

9. hi, i am also working on this project but i have a couple of questions firstly i want to know that on transmitter side are we converting analog value to decimal or hexadecimal before transmitting? and second, how we display a single byte on LED display?
    could you please help me with this

Comment by Amarbir on March 21, 2011 at 2:22 PM

10. The analog value is stored as a byte and is transmitted. Decimal and hexadecimal are notation for humans. Computers use binary, so your question doesn’t make much sense. The byte holds a value and that value is transmitted.

A byte has 8 bits, so it can hold a value of 0-255. The value of the byte represents the temperature. If the temperature is 68 degrees, then the value in the byte is 68. The receiver displays that value by figuring out what each digit should be. Does that make sense? Just read the code — it’s all there.

Comment by Michael on March 21, 2011 at 2:30 PM

11. hi, i need to know that how we are displaying the value 68 on display?
    could you explain the whole process please….

Comment by amarbir on March 23, 2011 at 4:15 PM

12. I provided the schematic and all the code, and there are comments in the code. Did you spend time studying the code? If you want to understand how something works, you need to invest some time into it, right?

Comment by Michael on March 23, 2011 at 4:27 PM

13. i tried to understand the code but i didn’t get that part

void setOutput(byte d) {
    // This is more complex because the 74LS247 inputs are on
    // nonconsecutive Arduino output pins (for ease of soldering).
    PORTD &= ~0x3C; // turn off digital pins 2-5
    if ((d & 0x1) > 0) {
    // 74LS247 input A connected to Arduino pin 5
    PORTD |= (1 < 0) {
    // 74LS247 input B connected to Arduino pin 2
    PORTD |= (1 < 0) {
    // 74LS247 input C connected to Arduino pin 3
    PORTD |= (1 < 0) {
    // 74LS247 input D connected to Arduino pin 4
    PORTD |= (1 << PORTD4);
    }

Could you help me with this please…

Comment by amarbir on March 23, 2011 at 4:48 PM

14. Arduino digital pins 5, 2, 3, and 4 are connected to the 74LS247 input pins A, B, C, and D respectively. To make the 74LS247 display a digit, you set the input pins A, B, C, D to the binary representation of the number. To display a ‘6’, you set A low, B high, C high, and D low. Because the number 6 is 0110 in binary. See the 74LS247 data sheet for the relationship between the digits and the input pins. http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/47247.pdf

Comment by Michael on March 23, 2011 at 5:20 PM

15. thanks…

Comment by amarbir on March 24, 2011 at 11:29 AM

16. could anyone tell me the meaning of this line “const byte packetHeader[PACKET_HEADER_SIZE] = {0x8F, 0xAA, ADDR};” Please

Comment by Mark on March 30, 2011 at 6:23 PM

17. @Mark,
    it declares an array of bytes called “packetHeader” of size 3, and the contents are assigned. Each packet transmitted has a constant header at the beginning with fixed values so that the sender and receiver can sync up. The 3rd byte is the address of the packet’s destination.

Comment by Michael on March 30, 2011 at 6:33 PM

18. Hi Michael, I think your schematic is missing pin 8 of the 74LS247 going to ground? This is what confused me in my last post:

> Also where do you ground the 7-seg displays, the schematic doesn’t seem to show this
    > anywhere. Like I mentioned above, I’m new to electronics so forgive me if I’m simply
    > misunderstanding the schematic…

By the way, thank you for updating the schematic to show the resistors – much easier to follow and understand!!

Comment by Julian on April 3, 2011 at 11:53 PM

19. Hi Michael, I managed to replicate your project using a 4-digit 7-segment display, it works beautifully! There was a bug that took me a while to figure out in your digit toggling:

This turns digit 2 on, not off:
    PORTD |= (1 << PORTD7); // turn off digit 2

This turns digit 1 off, not on:
    PORTD &= ~(1 << PORTD6); // turn on digit 1

Comment by Julian on April 5, 2011 at 9:22 AM

20. Julian, there’s no bug in my code for the circuit I used. I’m using PNP transistors on the anodes, so they are active LOW, not HIGH. To turn on a digit, set the pin LOW. To turn it off, set it HIGH. Did you use PNP transistors on the anodes?

Comment by Michael on April 5, 2011 at 9:31 AM

21. @Michael you are 100% correct, of course. It seems that the “S8050 PNP General Purpose Transistors” I ordered from Futurlec are actually NPN transistors (serves me right for trying to get away with 5c per transistor).

Regardless, I switched that part of the code around to work for my (apparently) NPN transistors and there doesn’t seem to be a problem. Which leads me to ask, what is the advantage (if any) of using PNP transistors in this part of the circuit?

Comment by Julian on April 6, 2011 at 12:28 AM

22. Ok, that makes sense. Typically you would use a PNP transistor to source current. You would use an NPN transistor to sink current. The general rule is that you tie the emitter to a fixed voltage. So when using a PNP as I did, the emitter is tied to the 5V source and the collector is connected to the LED anode. With your NPN, the collector is tied to the 5V line and the emitter is not connected to a fixed voltage but is “floating”. I just follow the general rule of making sure the emitter is the one tied to the voltage, whether it be 5V for sourcing current with a PNP, or GND for sinking current with a NPN. Hope that helps.

Comment by Michael on April 6, 2011 at 6:50 AM

23. Thanks Michael, this topic has led me to learn a lot more about transistors, and I’m glad I now have a basic understanding (I think)! Just to confirm that I’m on the right track, the reason the emitter is usually connected to the fixed voltage is because of the small leakage between the base and the emitter when the transistor is off, correct? So that would mean that in my circuit, I have a very small amount of current flowing through my segments where their digits are supposed to be “off”.

Comment by Julian on April 6, 2011 at 7:10 PM

24. I’m not an expert, but I think you might be right. There must be a bit of current leaking from emitter to the base which is held low. If you use PNP, you’ll be in great shape.

Comment by Michael on April 6, 2011 at 9:03 PM

25. Hi Michael!

Great project and exactly what I’m currently planning to do. Really smart not to use two fully equipped Arduinos and, morevoer, to stick to cheap RF links instead of ZigBee radio technique.
    But I’m still thinking about your transmitter layout: is this a 16.000 kiloOhm resistor below the AtMega328 … as here is “16.000.000” printed on its surface!? And what are these two
    orange parts with the black color on it – capacitors? Can you please say (i) how these three elements are wired because the image is hiding some info on that (unfortunately, the plan doesn’t contain these elements either) and (ii) why you have to use them in your setup at all!

Thanks a lot and
    Regards

Comment by Jan on August 7, 2011 at 5:06 PM

26. Jan: The transmitter is a breadboard Arduino. The components you ask about are the 16MHz crystal and the 22pF capacitors. If you google for “breadboard Arduino” you’ll find many tutorials that teach you how to build an Arduino on a breadboard with a few components. You can just use a regular Arduino, too, if you have an extra. I didn’t so I built one.

Comment by Michael on August 8, 2011 at 7:15 AM

27. Thanks, Michael!! You helped me a lot, appreciate!

Comment by Jan on August 11, 2011 at 9:57 AM

28. Can your project work with feeds from multiple temperature sensors/rf sources or is this a one-to-one link up?

Thanks

Comment by SteveD on August 31, 2011 at 3:07 PM

29. The software could be modified to receive from different receivers (note that the transmitter has an ADDR identifier). But I think the signals would interfere with one another since they are on the same frequency…

Comment by Michael on August 31, 2011 at 3:31 PM

30. Hi Michael,

Thanks for this tutorial…your ptoject is great !
    I did your first version (zigbee) with a lot of success but with the modification written by ilium007 (http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1264655063/15) because I did’t have the two 7 led segments at this time and I use a TMP36 sensor…so cool !
    Now I have done the two boards as describe in this tutorial, everything is running fine, communication radio link is OK, Serial.print(temp, DEC) is OK on the emitter side but the two 7 led segments do not print the same value.

Emitter:

void readTemp() {
    byte reading = analogRead(SENSOR_ANALOG_PIN);
    int mv = ((float)reading) * (5000/1024);//TMP36 plug to +5v
    temp = (mv – 500) / 10; //DC offset for TMP36
    Serial.println(temp, DEC); //it prints 20°C

Receiver:

void loop() {
    temp = readByte();
    setValue(temp);
    Serial.println(temp, DEC);//it prints 207 and the Led segments show 47
    }

Your help should be cool…

Comment by Vince on December 26, 2011 at 7:26 PM

31. Hmm. I can’t really tell what is wrong. How are you using the XBee and Serial at the same time? How are you transmitting the temperature reading? I don’t see the transmission….

Comment by Michael on December 27, 2011 at 8:39 AM

32. Hi Michael,

sorry for the confusion. The xbee project has been done before (as describe in your tutorial) and it’s working great. What I’m trying to do now is your new version of wireless temperature sensor, using RF Transmitter/Receiver. This problem makes me crazy, I really don’t know why I get 46 or 47 on the Led Segments instead of 20 (my room temperature). I’ve controled my TMP36 sensor and I’m sure it’s OK with the calcul describe in the void readTemp just pasted above. If I bypass the calcul and just write temp = 20; instead of temp = (mv – 500) / 10;, the led segment prints 20. I mean that the RF link seems to work.

I’m using this RF materials:http://radiospares-fr.rs-online.com/web/p/modules-rf-misc/6172072/

Could it be no compatible ?

you can see a photo of my boards just here: http://www.arpege-studio.com/RF/

Really lost…

Comment by Vince on December 27, 2011 at 1:54 PM

33. Oh, I see. Sorry I was confused. The problem is that your variable “reading” needs to be declared as an int, not a byte. The value of an analog read won’t fit in a byte. So your reading was too small, then when you subtract 500 from it, it goes negative. So “temp” was negative. Then you wrote it across the RF link and read it as a byte, and this was then interpreted as a 207.

And the divisor in your formula should be 1023, not 1024. The maximum sensor value is 1023, so you want a reading of 1023 to give a result of 5000 mV. If you use 1024, then the formula produces a slightly wrong value.

Try this:

void readTemp() {
    int reading = analogRead(SENSOR_ANALOG_PIN);
    int mv = ((float)reading) * (5000/1023); //TMP36 plug to +5v
    temp = (mv – 500) / 10; //DC offset for TMP36
    Serial.println(temp, DEC);

Comment by Michael on December 27, 2011 at 2:33 PM

34. You’re welcome ! Thanks for your help.
    Unfortunltely it does not change anything..Argghhh !
    For fun and to confirm RF link is OK, I made a counter (boards were 4 meters from each other): http://www.arpege-studio.com/RF/
    I’ll try tomorrow to connect an LCD on the emitter board in order to print locally the result contained in temp.
    Damn it will work…!

Comment by Vince on December 27, 2011 at 6:02 PM

35. Hi Michael !
    I finally found what caused the bug but I can not find a solution to solve it.
    First, I did a test with my LCD on the transmitter board and the temperature still showed 207 on the LCD and 47 on the Segments Led. So I unplugged the ground of the transmitter and the miracle happens. My LCD displays 22°C…So good…and of course nothing on the segments Led (no ground)!
    So I tried to use a separate power supply for transmitter but with no common ground, the transmitter does not work..Arrrrgh ! And if I link the grounds of the 2 power supply, the transmitter works but the temperature value becomes 207 and 47 ! I’m stuck.
    If you have an idea :-)))

Comment by Vince on December 29, 2011 at 6:03 AM

36. I think you should break the problem down by printing (on LCD) the value of ‘reading’ on the LCD. Then disconnect the ground and see if ‘reading’ changes.

Despite the new evidence about the ground, my intuition tells me there is still a data type issue of some kind. You had said that setting “temp = 20;” made everything work, but using your calculation gave the bad values. That’s a big clue.

Break the problem down into tiny steps. First display ‘reading’. Then ‘mv’. Then ‘temp’.

Comment by Michael on December 29, 2011 at 6:24 AM

37. OK, here are the results
    Without the transmitter:
    reading: 165, mv: 656, temp: 16
    With the Transmitter:
    reading: 15, mv: 60, temp: 212

I’ve also check voltage at the output of the 7805: 5.15V
    Between: pin 20 & 22 | 6 & 7 of the ATMega328P-PU: 5.15V
    Between: pin 1 & 3 of the TMP36: 5.15V

I ask myself if this transmitter is compatible with the arduino in this state. In the datasheet they talk about the RF600E Encodeur. http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0248/0900766b802489bb.pdf

Thanks again

Comment by Vince on December 29, 2011 at 9:00 AM

38. Ok, it looks like analogRead isn’t working correctly when your transmitter is connected. That makes no sense to me…

Comment by Michael on December 29, 2011 at 1:14 PM

39. Hi Michael,

Finally it works ! I added a digital output to control turning on and off the transmitter. In this way, analogRead is working correctly.

void setup() {

pinMode(transmitter, OUTPUT);
    digitalWrite(transmitter, LOW);

void loop() {
    digitalWrite(LED_PIN, HIGH);
    readTemp();
    digitalWrite(transmitter, HIGH);
    delay(1000);
    writeByte(temp);
    digitalWrite(LED_PIN, LOW);
    delay(1000);
    digitalWrite(transmitter, LOW);
    }

Hope this can help others.

Thanks for your help

Comment by Vince on December 30, 2011 at 4:30 PM

40. Hi Michael;

I made an evolution to your project in order to display negative temperature. So, I added a third digit LED display (Anode to Pin 8, G segment to Pin 9).

Here is the code (sorry if this is not optimized)

const int d3 = 8;

digitalWrite(negatif, LOW);
    temp = (temperature * -1);
    setValue(temp);
    else {
    setValue(temp);
    }

Really enjoyed this project !

Comment by Vince on January 9, 2012 at 6:05 AM

41. Hi Michael,
    sorry to come back again for a few more questions.

What works: AM Transmitter/Receiver at 1200 baud with my DIY arduino board or the official Uno for the Receiver part…great ! FM Transmitter/Receiver at 9600 baud with my DIY arduino board for the Receiver part….great too !

What does not work: FM Transmitter/Receiver at 9600 baud (or other values) with the official Uno for the receiver part…the serial does not receive anything ! So I tried with a mega2560 but it’s worse…the led segments do not turn on.

Thanks again.

Comment by Vince on January 12, 2012 at 3:23 AM

42. Vince, I really have no idea. I don’t have that hardware, and I don’t know how I can debug remotely…

Comment by Michael on January 12, 2012 at 8:23 AM

43. Hi Michael,
    Just to say thanks for the idea, I was looking for a way to get power use or temperature from remote sensors in a domestic situation i.e. low cost. Using the RF module with a small pic for myself works great.
    Thanks again

Comment by Paul on February 26, 2012 at 8:41 AM

44. Hi Michael I’m a newbie in using arduino and I just wanna ask if your code works for a pair of transmitter/receiver of 315Mhz, because I did the all thing and I only got ceros from the displays. I am working with a pair of arduino uno, I just made a change in the transmitter program, because I’m using the LM35 so instead of doing this:
    byte reading = analogRead(SENSOR_ANALOG_PIN);
    int mv = ((float)(reading/1023.0)) * 5000;
    temp = mv / 10;

I did this
    byte reading = analogRead(SENSOR_ANALOG_PIN);
    temp=(5.0 * reading * 100.0)/1023.0;

Any recommendation wil be appreciated

Comment by Héctor on April 24, 2012 at 8:20 PM

45. Héctor, I suppose it should work with 315MHz devices. First, I would try to just send a fixed number across the link to see if that works. Then add the sensor readings and calculation.

Comment by Michael on April 25, 2012 at 8:38 AM

46. HI Michael, thank for your answer, but i have another question, what does this part of the program do?
    // Disable the timer overflow interrupt

TCCR2B &= ~(1 << CS21);

// Start the counting at 0
    TCNT2 = 0;

// Enable the timer2 overflow interrupt
    TIMSK2 |= (1 << TOIE2);
    }
    I don't understand anything, so i would be a good thing if you can explain it line per line
    or give me the equivalent mnemonics for PIC please

Comment by Hector on May 1, 2012 at 3:49 PM

47. Hector, I DID explain what each line does. See the comments? If you don’t understand the ATmega328 then you can read the datasheet, but my comments tell exactly what I was doing to the microcontroller. I don’t know PIC, so I can’t explain how you can do it with a PIC.

Comment by Michael on May 1, 2012 at 4:36 PM

48. my name is sahil surani.i am making simple RFID Tx and Rx ,i want
    to just send simple 1,2,a,b…… or some short message like hi
    ,hello,sahil….etc. i want simple program (software)
    that transmit data or message from Tx to Rx and display on lcd the
    message can be in code(software).can any one please send me code or software.my email is suranisahil786@gmail.com
    thank you in advance and i am thinking of your positive reply.

Comment by sahil on October 6, 2012 at 12:55 AM

49. hi, i am new to this arduino……
    i tried receiver ur prgm in arduino atmega8 controller…..
    it is showing some error in using TIMSK2,TCCR2A,TCCR2B,WGM……
    can u say me the alternative of that line.pls…..

Comment by arun on October 14, 2012 at 9:27 AM

50. Very cool project and nice job of explaining everything.
    I was wondering what line of sight range you were able to get with the 17cm ant ?
    thanks ric

Comment by ric on December 15, 2012 at 1:02 AM

51. I don’t recall, but maybe 20m.

Comment by Michael on December 15, 2012 at 7:05 AM

52. Cool site u got here…
    May I ask, what simulation software did u use to do simulation?

Comment by Kim on January 2, 2013 at 10:46 AM

53. What simulation? I didn’t use simulation software.

Comment by Michael on January 2, 2013 at 10:50 AM

54. No. I’m just asking since I saw the schematic..
    The schematic u draw using what?

Comment by Kim on January 2, 2013 at 11:05 AM

55. The schematic is drawn using Cadsoft EAGLE.

Comment by Michael on January 2, 2013 at 11:10 AM

56. Well sir..Thank you very much for ur respond..:)

Comment by Kim on January 2, 2013 at 11:15 AM

57. Hi Michael,

Great little project. I am just starting out on transmitting temperature details back to a display. I was wondering if the hardware you are using here is capable of being addressable so that a single bas station might be able to receive temperatures from several transmitters? I understand there will need to be changes made to the setup etc but was just interested to know if you can achieve something like this with this hardware? I guess the next logical step after that would be able to have multiple wireless displays that can display the temp from any remote sensor.
    what are your thoughts on such a project? Is there any advice you would give or places to read up? I have seen many different projects on the web and using Xbee seems to be a favourite but adds to the cost etc.
    Thanks
    Ja

Comment by Jason on January 19, 2013 at 8:07 AM

58. Jason: Yes, XBee radios can be configured to be in networks. You’ll need to carefully study the network setup using the Digi documentation for the particular radios you use. But yes, they have addresses.

Comment by Michael on January 19, 2013 at 8:30 AM

59. Hello Michael,

I was looking at doing this project, and I was wondering exactly how you chose the frequency of your receiver and transmitter?

Thanks

Comment by Seth on February 1, 2013 at 3:29 PM

60. 434 MHz just happens to be a commonly used frequency for simple RF transmitters/receivers.

Comment by Michael on February 2, 2013 at 8:16 AM

61. Michael,

I have question involving the antenna. Will the length of the antenna used in the project have the ability to transmit data to the receiver if they are, lets say one or two rooms apart? No cement walls or anything fancy, just dry wall. If not, do you have any ideas on how to get further range, directional antenna maybe?

Thanks

Comment by Seth on February 13, 2013 at 2:48 PM

62. I think that an RF solution might work for that distance. It would be close, though. XBee digital radios have much further range and are more reliable.
    I’m not really an expert in antenna design….

Comment by Michael on February 13, 2013 at 7:59 PM

63. Helloo,

Great work.

Can I do the simulation of transmitter at any software?

If yes ,Please suggest some software and would be great if you could give the circuit of transmitter..

Comment by Ahmad on March 5, 2013 at 9:34 AM

64. Dude, can you suggest a way on how to configure an external antenna? What do I have to do? Just add a wire? I didn’t get why should it be 1/4 of the wavelength :( Thanks!

Comment by miXania on March 11, 2013 at 11:21 AM

65. Michael,

The 2 digit display you used was it a 18 pin display common anode correct?

Thanks

Comment by Seth on March 25, 2013 at 4:48 PM

66. Yes, that’s correct. 18 pin, common anode.

Comment by Michael on March 25, 2013 at 7:46 PM

67. Is there a way you would suggest testing this circuit? I have built the circuit completely and im getting a dim glow from the LEDS any suggestions on where to start?

Appreciate your input.

Comment by Seth on March 26, 2013 at 9:39 AM

68. @Seth, I would try a simple program that just displays a number. Then you can know whether your display is wired correctly.

Comment by Michael on March 26, 2013 at 5:26 PM

69. Michael, there is nothing that people are asking that they couldn’t find online or in a book. They are just being lazy. You can not teach people that only want an instant answer and won’t help themselves. I get annoyed just reading the inane questions. Why don’t you just leave your comments section open for a couple of weeks then move on.

Comment by Grumpy on April 1, 2013 at 3:06 AM

70. Hello Micheal,

I am using two Arduino Uno’s and a 434 MHz receiver and transmitter. After successfully sending a number to the receiver, I attached the rest of the circuit am still nothing? I am getting a double blinking zero. Any advice?

Comment by Seth on April 10, 2013 at 3:48 PM

71. Michael,

So I don’t think the circuit is multiplexing. All I am getting are double numbers. But I downloaded the code from your site, so I am not sure what exactly has gone wrong. Just thought I would share that, please any information would be extremely helpful.

Comment by Seth on April 10, 2013 at 6:37 PM

72. Are you sure your anode aren’t connected together? Are you sure you’ve wired everything the same as I did? I’m not sure how I did everything as this was years ago.

Comment by Michael on April 10, 2013 at 7:10 PM

73. Michael,

With the code written above, could you multiplex any faster?

Comment by Seth on April 11, 2013 at 3:33 PM

74. Michael,

I was wondering do you have to declare the Tx and/or Rx pins in either of the codes?

thanks

Comment by Seth on April 22, 2013 at 6:24 PM

75. This is exactly what I have been looking for!!!…Thanks for sharing this tutorial! Now my only question would be how would you use the temperature reading to cause something to turn on or off? For instance, when the temperature drops below 80 degrees a fan turns on. I understand how to do everything with wires, just a little confused as to how I would do this remotely. Do you think the remote controlled outlets will be a good place to start?

Comment by Tim on August 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM

76. I’d consider using a relay to turn the fan on.

Comment by Michael on August 15, 2013 at 9:16 AM

77. HI.sir .which type of ardino board u used in this circuit

Comment by muthupandi on August 18, 2013 at 9:18 AM

78. muthupandi: Arduino Duemilanove. Uno also works.

Comment by Michael on August 18, 2013 at 10:22 AM

79. Hi sir, Can I use arduino board in receiver also? and from where it is getting power?

Comment by Pooran Chand on September 18, 2013 at 1:13 PM

80. The project explains clearly that an Arduino is part of the receiver. See the picture? The Arduino is powered however you’d like.

Comment by Michael on September 18, 2013 at 1:19 PM

81. Sir, Can i try it with 8051 also? or please suggest some inexpensive alternative for arduina…..and thanx for reply

Comment by Pooran Chand on September 20, 2013 at 12:38 AM

82. i would like to ask you if the library VirtualWire was not used in this codes? thanks

Comment by ralph on March 20, 2014 at 5:15 AM

83. ralph, no the VirtualWire lib was not used. See the code above. It’s all there for you to read.

Comment by Michael on March 20, 2014 at 7:54 AM

84. Where i will connect 8 and 16 pin of the 74LS247? The 7-seg only displays 77 and i use battery

Comment by ralph on March 20, 2014 at 10:45 AM

85. Pin 8 is ground, pin 16 if +5V

Comment by Michael on March 20, 2014 at 11:16 AM

86. Hey I am making an induction cooktop. And I will be using temperature sensor to measure the temperature of the Hot vessel used for cooking. Is it fine if I use LM34 for that. I want to transmit the temperature readings as you did through wireless transmitter and receiver to the receiving side micro controller.

Comment by akshay on April 16, 2014 at 7:49 PM

87. Sends an unsigned int over the RF network
    void writeByte(byte val) {
    byte checksum = (packetHeader[0] ^ packetHeader[1] ^ packetHeader[2] ^ val);
    Serial.write(0xF0);
    Serial.write(packetHeader, PACKET_HEADER_SIZE);
    Serial.write(val);
    Serial.write(checksum);
    }

can you please explain me this part. please

Comment by akshay on April 22, 2014 at 5:15 AM

88. I’m not sure what you want explained. It computes a checksum, then sends the data plus the checksum.

Comment by Michael on April 22, 2014 at 9:33 AM

89. Hi Michael, it rely works well, but i want to change lm 34 to lm35, can i get program for lm35/celsius for transmitter and is dat same program i must use in receiver?

Comment by Mahes on April 30, 2014 at 5:16 AM

90. I want to be able to receive multiple wireless temperature inputs how can I differentiate them?

Comment by Rick on May 26, 2014 at 8:51 AM

91. @Rick,
    You’d need to code specifically for that situation. Maybe just identify the readings from the 2 sensors with a distinct identifier when you send the data.

Comment by Michael on May 26, 2014 at 11:50 AM

92. Really Good Work………..

Ravi Saini

Comment by Ravi Saini on August 7, 2014 at 3:24 AM

93. hi michael, may I know where the rf transmitter and receiver located in the Eagle library? I want to do circuit simulation, using the Eagle Software..I’m using these components with the HT12D and HT12E..really appreciate your help,..thank you very much and I hope you can reply me soon..

Comment by akmar on August 20, 2014 at 3:07 AM