Is it possible to receive serial or softwareSerial on board?

Store Forums Hackvision General Discussion Is it possible to receive serial or softwareSerial on board?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ChubbRck

Okay, this is my last thread started on this board for a long time, I promise! 🙂

I’m trying to receive communication from a second Arduino to Hackvision but find that doing so via either the RX pin or any of the Digital pins via SoftwareSerial causes the video out to stop outputting. This is expected, I assume. Does anyone know any way around it?

Nick

Michael
    Keymaster

Serial communication is interrupt driven, so it interferes with video. The TVout library comes with a polling serial implementation. See the TVout documentation on pollserial.

ChubbRck

Ahh, interesting, thank you for the help.

Unfortunately, there isn’t much documentation on pollserial on the TVOut Google Code site. I used the example to receive pollserial data, but I’m not sure how to send it. I tried sending it through Serial as usual, but it seems to crash the VE Shield. You’ve been a huge help so far and I’m sorry to keep asking questions, but you don’t have any clues to as why this might happen, do you?

Nick

Michael
    Keymaster

Again, the reason you can’t use the Serial library with TVout is that the interrupts interfere. Use pollserial instead. Just replace Serial with pollserial. You will be limited in the amount of data you can send/receive, but if you have only a small amount, it works.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.